- Ability Employers is a group of employers shaping Inclusive and Diverse Workplaces in Nova Scotia.
- They offer professional development and networking opportunities for Nova Scotia employers and exploring options for increased funding for Ability Employers.
- They share ideas about best practices in recruitment, support and retention and work towards the common goal of creating inclusive and diverse workplaces and cultures.
English in the Workplace
- Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) offers a free 12-week English-learning program for immigrant employees to help them with on-the-job language skills (two 90-minute sessions per week).
- Delivered by a qualified EAL instructor and encompasses speaking, listening, writing, reading and Canadian workplace culture.
- Training can be completed in person or by distance.
Professional Practice Program
- The Professional Practice Program connects employers across Nova Scotia with skilled immigrant professionals.
The program is:
- Flexible: Up to six weeks part or full-time depending on need.
- Low Risk: All participants insured against injury at workplace.
- Targeted: Individual skills matched with employer needs.
- Career Focused: Participants are professionals with related education and skills.
- No Strings Attached: No obligation to hire or pay – can be terminated by either party at any time.
Workplace Culture Program
- Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) hosts a variety of workshops for improving workplace culture. The sessions can be completed onsite or live streamed online.
- The Workplace Culture Program helps Nova Scotian employers better understand the benefits of hiring international talent, understand the importance of immigrant experience in the workplace and learn methods to improve intercultural competence and retain immigrant employees.
- Nova Scotia Works offers a FREE online guidance tool for creating a welcoming workplace.
- Provides downloadable guides and templates to assist companies in keeping and managing valued employees in a diverse workforce.